Saturday, August 22, 2009

Second Chances - Chap 6 (Beverly Hills, 90210)

Author’s Note: I don’t own Beverly Hills 90210.

Dylan helped his beaten and unstable friend to the car as the princess they had just saved led the way. “Great, I’m going to have to share a damn seat with the Minnesota Boy Wonder?” Stephanie sarcastically remarked as she pointed out the lack of seating available to the three of them.

Brandon, after finally regaining some sense, still attempted to play the chivalrous knight, “It’s fine. I’ll wait here. Dylan can take you home.” Dylan kept his objections to himself as Stephanie’s mood seemed softened as she took in his words, “Leave you here for James to wake up and club you for knocking him out? I think not. Just sit down,” she motioned for him to take the passenger seat. The throbbing in his head kept him from making an argument and he quickly took the seat offered to him. He was quickly rewarded when she made her way up to him and flipped her left over his lap resting her body on his lap. “Let’s go,” she stated to Dylan as she propped herself forward on Brandon’s lap using the front window as a brace. Brandon had to fight the urge to put his arms around her and hold on tight, but he was afraid he received yet another knock to the head and wasn’t willing to take that risk and end up just like James. He simply relaxed against the back rest and enjoyed the warmth of her body pressed against his.

Dylan debated returning to the movie theater, but on second though assumed it would in everyone’s best interest to take the half dressed young woman back home. He also figured that Brenda would have taken his nearly unconscious friend’s car home and new there was no way he was leaving Brandon to fend for himself. The trip was filled with the echoes of the night air and heavy sighs of the three tired teens. As they approached the Bel’age Stephanie took no time making her way feet first, unafraid of what she might reveal to onlookers, over the passenger door. She refused acknowledge them as they both followed suit exiting the car. Dylan handed over the keys to the valet and they followed her in.

“I don’t need a babysitter. You two boxing stars can go home,” she informed them as she made her way to the elevators. Brandon did his best to keep up with the two but soon found himself face first with the maroon carpeting of the lobby. Both Dylan and Stephanie ran to his rescue picking him up from both sides and placing him on one of the hall aligning tan couches. Stephanie didn’t try to mask her growing frustration with the whole situation as Dylan addressed half conscious young man in front of him, “You need to stay here. I’ll walk her upstairs,” Brandon did he best to refute the suggestion by jerking to his feet, but quickly found that he would not be able to make it anywhere without any form of supports. He had no choice but to admit that Dylan was right. Stephanie unhappiness remained evident in her expression, but she decided to avoid further confrontation and just make her way to her room.

The elevator trip was short and sweet as they made their way out and down the hall to Stephanie’s front door. She removed her key from its resting place in her cleavage and placed it in the lock. “You know, I would say thank you, if I didn’t think you two owed me an apology. Next time, find someone who wants your help.” She shifted the key to the left releasing the deadbolt and tapped the handle pushing the door open. Dylan was one again presented with the perfect opportunity to relieve his burden and decided that this time she would not intimidate him out of saying what he needed to say. He followed in close behind her and shut the door.

“Dylan, go home,” she let her angry grow once again. Dylan’s determination kept him from lashing out and focused on the task at hand. “I’m not leaving. You can call security, but I’m saying what needs to be said.” He watched as she opened her mouth aware of the possible obscenities she was ready to fling at him, but made sure to cue her off before she could release any of them.

“I screwed up. I didn’t say anything to anyone. Not just to the police, not just to you, to anyone for the past three years. My father was so afraid that my being involved with you was going to get him in trouble, he told me I was not to see you anymore or have anything to do with you. When I started crying he hit me. He told me men don’t cry and they don’t get into other people’s business. Even when I heard about your uncle lying on the stand I was so afraid that my father would hate me, I kept quiet. That isn’t an excuse. It isn’t a reason.” He paused trying to gauge her reaction. She stood quietly in almost a state of shock as he found the weight that rested on his chest had finally been removed. He took the quiet moment to complete his thought.

“The one thing I learned in those three years is a real man doesn’t abandon someone he loves. You know who taught me that? That man sprawled out that couch downstairs. There was a time when I was ready to end it. I acted like a complete jackass. I hated myself and he saved me, just like he would do anything in his power to save you. You may hate me now. You may never forgive me. I have to live with that. But no matter what, I will never abandon you again. And I promise you, Brandon would put his life on the line for you. He’s a better man than I could ever be, so don’t take your hate for me out on him. He doesn’t deserve it.” With that simple revelation he basked in the relief he finally felt. The ball was now in her court and he could leave it up to her to make the next move. He simple nodded in her direction and shifted his attention to the door behind him leaving her to ponder everything he had thrown at her.

Brenda made her way through the halls of West Beverly determined to track down the girl who not only held the mind of her boyfriend, but now, as evident by the bruises on his face, the heart of her brother. Stephanie was coming dangerously close to tearing apart Brenda’s happy little world and she was not about to sit by and allow that to happen. As she waded her way through the onslaught of West Beverly’s finest she took a turn around the corner now bringing into view what she believed to be Stephanie’s locker. She found her staring off as the small group of girls huddled around her seemed to be deep in discussion.

Brenda slowly approached the gaggle of chattering girls. “Stephanie,” Brenda addressed her. She continued to stare off as the other girls giggled to each other. “Stephanie,” Brenda was now becoming insistent on getting a response. Finally the red head slipped out of her daze and turned her attention toward voice that snapped her out of her thoughts.

“Yes?” she simply stared. “Hi, I’m Brenda.” Stephanie kept her cold glare on the preppy brunette in her presence, “I’m aware of who you are. You’re Dylan McKay’s current thing.” Brenda nodded in admission holding back the aggression that was quickly building up inside her. “I’m also Brandon Walsh’s sister.” Brenda could see Stephanie’s mood shift once again as she turned her attention to her feet. Brenda continued, “Can I talk to you?” Stephanie turned her sights back to what Brenda could only assume where her friends and asked them to excuse themselves. The uncomfortable vibe strengthened as they walked away.

Stephanie questioned leaning up back first against the lockers, “What would you like to talk about?” Brenda could make out the rolling of her eyes as she forced the question from her lips. “Look, I hate to admit it, but my brother really likes you.” Brenda paused hoping for a response which never came. “Does that mean anything to you?” She still didn’t respond.

“He faced down a guy twice his size for you.” This provoked a response. “That’s funny. I don’t believe I asked him to do that.” Brenda became increasingly aggravated, “I don’t know what happened last night, but he obviously really cares about you though I haven’t figured out why.” She paused to regain her composure, “Look, if you don’t return those feelings just tell him that so he doesn’t have to go through anymore abuse trying to convince you that he cares.” Stephanie again seemed annoyed, but determined to appear as if nothing could break her cool attitude, “Anything else?” she directed to Brenda.

“Yes, actually, there is. I don’t know what’s gone on between you and Dylan in the past, but I know he’s really hurting. I have no idea why, but the calm, collected man I know hasn’t been able to open up in days. I can’t fix whatever happened with you, but if you two were as close as I think you were, don’t you think you owe it a shot to work it out?”

Stephanie let out a small sigh, “You know, Brenda, you’re right, you don’t know what happened between us so don’t presume to think that I would have any reason to fix anything. Tell him to move on. I have.” Brenda just stared at her the anger radiating from her face. Stephanie remained un-phased by the whole discussion. Brenda wanted to say so many things, but found that all she could do was stare. She made the choice to walk away as the bell rang behind her.

As Brenda walked the anger continued to grow and it wasn’t something she could truly walk away from. She turned right back around walking up to Stephanie who had started to walk in the direction of her next class. She grabbed her shoulder from behind forcing her to spin around and face her. “You know, I’ve been spending this last week calling you a slut in my head because every time I turn around you’re flirting with someone else. Then you start doing it with my brother and I’m ready to rip your heart out. As for Dylan, you say you’ve moved on, yet you want to jump into the pants of every guy you come across? Doesn’t seem to me like you’ve moved on from anything and maybe you need to think about why you need to win affection that way. Dylan cares about you and you dismiss him like you’re too good for that. Brandon tries to show you how much he cares for you and you run away from him. Tell me Stephanie, with all the running you do, do you have any time to stop and look in the mirror?” With that, Brenda turned away from the speechless girl and stomped her way down the hall not bothering to wait for any reaction from lashing she had just given.

Morning classes came and went for Brandon as he made his way to his locker with Steve close behind. “Brandon, give it up. That girl’s not going to talk to you again. You blew it. She wanted some action and you didn’t give it to her. And when she finally comes close to getting some you get in the way.” Brandon tried to keep his cool while placing his books in his locker, “It wasn’t about that. There’s something special about her and she deserves better than some jerk who just wants to get her into bed.” Steve added, “She didn’t want to jump into bed, seems to me like she prefers the back seat.” Brandon became not only aggravated, but he could feel a twinge of anger as Steve talked about her like a piece of meat.

“So, you’re saying you would have just done it no questions asked?” he asked though he already knew the answer. Steve responded in a low growling noise followed by his not so innocent smile. “Well, I’m not that selfish. I want to get to know her and I’m hoping for another chance.” Steve just watched as Brandon became frustrated with him. “Those marks on your face say to me that she doesn’t want to give you another chance and I don’t know if I can blame her.” Brandon figured Steve was right and just stared into his locker looking as if he had been whipped when a soft voice interrupted the conversation.

“Brandon?” His face lit up as he continued staring into his locker immediately recognizing the soft tone of the woman he had been focused on all day. He turned to face out acknowledging her, “Hey, Stephanie,” He smiled at her. Steve just turned his attention in her direction, obviously shocked that he was up close and personal with the fantasy girl that his best friend had taken a beating for. She didn’t respond to either of their smiles and seemed somewhat distant.

“I was wondering if maybe we could talk later; after school or something?” she asked in a very reserved manner and he could sense the awkward tension coming from her. “I work at the Peach Pit after classes, but I get off at 9 if you want to come around then.” She nodded at him and without giving either a second glance turned around and walked down the hallway. Steve just shrugged, “Hmmm. That should be interesting.” Brandon didn’t respond and continued his gaze in the direction of the departing Stephanie. Steve tapped him on the shoulder and Brandon returned his attention to Steve. “Time for class,” he just shook his head and parted company with the now extremely confused Brandon who took a second to shake the situation off, shut his locker and headed off to his next class.

No comments:

Post a Comment