Saturday, August 22, 2009

Second Chances - Chap 4 (Beverly Hills, 90210)

Author’s Note: I don’t own Beverly Hills 90210.

Brandon spent the night tossing and turning unable to get the events of the earlier evening out of his head. He replayed her face, her hair, their hand holding and the multitude of their conversations in between bouts of REM sleep. As he finally gave up, he vowed to find Dylan first thing that morning.

He got up bright and early making the drive to school in no time flat. He scanned the parking lot to no avail. Dylan wasn’t there yet, his car was no where in sight. Nothing much he could do but sit and wait so he took out his chem. notebook and attempted to get his mind off his troubles. Eventually able to drift into some academic numbing he stared off into the spiral wire that separated the pages. He caught the image of a black porche out of the corner of his eye and looked up. Salvation had finally arrived. He ran up to Dylan as he parked.

“Hey, can I talk to you?” Dylan took a seat on the upper portion of the driver’s seat and hopped out over the driver’s side door. “Sure, what about?” he questioned. “Stephanie,” Brandon softly replied. Dylan let out a soft sigh as he reached into his back seat grabbing a short stack of high school reading material. “I’m not sure that’s a conversation I’m comfortable having,” he responded.

Dylan turned in the direction of the school as Brandon tried to convince him that he truly needed his advice, “Brenda said you two used to be close. I just wanted to know if I could find out a little about her.” They continued to walk, “I don’t really want to get into it,” Dylan stated, but Brandon was determined to find out something; anything, “I’m not asking for details. I really like Stephanie and I guess I just want to understand where she’s coming from.”

A short silent moment crossed between the two and Dylan finally caved in, “Alright, what happened?” Brandon began the scenario, “Well, we ate lunch together all last week and it was great. I’ve never met anyone so witty and smart. We talked about politics, religion, and movies. Our date on Friday was going great. We had dinner at the Peach Pit, saw a movie and then I took her to The Point.” Dylan stopped walking and interrupted him. “You took her to The Point? Walsh, I told you to be careful.”

Brandon almost had to catch himself at this harsh response. He tried to recover, “Nothing happened, man, I swear. That’s not why I took her there. I just wanted to be alone so we could talk some more and just hang out with no distractions. But she got weird on me.” Dylan turned his attention back to his trek to the front doors, “What do you mean, weird?” Brandon continued, “She was all over me. I pushed her off and told her that wasn’t why I brought her up there and she freaked. She made me take her home. I’ve never had a girl react like that. I’m not sure what I did wrong.”

As they reached the front steps Dylan took his time to word his thoughts wisely, “You didn’t do anything wrong. Like I said before, she has some issues that I don’t think she’s dealt with. A lot of stuff happened to her as a kid and I just don’t think she’s really sure how to deal with guys anymore.” Brandon wasn’t sure if the next question applied, but he had to be certain, “Well, were you and her ever intimate?” They reached the top of the stairs and Dylan’s expression became even more serious, “No, she was like my sister. I could never think of her like that let alone have to listen to you talk about her like that.”

Brandon noticed that Dylan almost seemed hurt by the question, though, if someone had asked him if he was ever intimate with Brenda, it wouldn’t just be a feeling of hurt, it would blatantly be mixed with disgust. “I’m sorry, I just thought maybe,” Dylan beat him to the punch, “Don’t worry about it. My advice to you is just leave her alone. It might be best for both of you.” That bit of advise was the exact opposite of what he had been hoping for, “What if I don’t want to leave her alone?”

Dylan took another second to take in the fact that his best friend was now admitting how strong his feelings were for the girl he grew very fond many years ago. That thought didn’t exactly soothe him, but he knew that Brandon would never intentionally hurt anyone and if there was anyone that could help Stephanie with her issues, he would be it. Though those thoughts calmed him a little, reason took over, “Then you need to decide if she’s worth all the hurt she could put you through.” Brandon took in the full force of his words and nodded his understanding and appreciation. “I gotta get to class,” Dylan stated as he finished his journey through the front doors. “Thanks, Dylan,” Brandon shouted to him as he watched him go inside.

There Brandon stood, trapped is his thoughts, not really content with the advice he had received. There was one thing he figured out from the conversation, though. There was more to this girl than meets the eye and he was not about to give up on her. There was something special and he wanted to know more.

No comments:

Post a Comment