Thursday, August 27, 2009

Reflections script - Act 5 (The Young Riders)


ACT 5
FADE IN

24. Ext. Terrain – a short time later
Three horses make their way down the trail and begin to slow down. As they stop we see Genevieve, Cody and Buck slowing down to a halt.
BUCK
They should have caught up to us by now. I’m going back.
GENEVIEVE
I’m going with you.
BUCK
Take her back to Rock Creek. Tell Teaspoon what happened.
GENEVIEVE
I’m going with you.
CODY
We need to get you away from Mackenzie. We’ll come back for them.
Genevieve refuses to move.
BUCK
They risked their lives to make sure you got to safety. You owe it to them to go back to Rock Creek.
Genevieve reluctantly nods her agreement. Buck descends in the opposite direction as Cody and Genevieve ride off toward Rock Creek.
25. Int. Sheriff’s Office – late morning
Close up on Jimmy who is still unconscious on a cot in one of the jail cells. He begins to awaken gaining his vision slowly. He turns his view to the cell beside him. The camera pulls out to show Lou unconscious in the opposite cell. Jimmy jumps out of his cot, catching himself from falling and kneels down to the bars. He grabs her hand. Close up on her wounds revealing a gun shot to her left shoulder and right side. Close up on his hand picking up hers.
JIMMY
Lou? Lou. You need to wake up.
No response.
JIMMY
Lou. Can you hear me?
We see Lou begin to stir in the cot. She slowly opens her eyes.
JIMMY
Hey there. How are you feeling?
LOU
How do I look?
JIMMY
Great.
LOU
You’re a bad liar.
JIMMY
(to the onlookers)
He needs a doctor!
MACKENZIE
No she doesn’t.
JIMMY
If she doesn’t get to a doctor she could die.
MACKENIE
Good, one less prisoner to transport to Ft. Kearney tomorrow.
JIMMY
We’re not your prisoners.
MACKENZIE
Oh, yes you are. Helping a prisoner escape is punishable by death.
JIMMY
Fine, bring us to trial, but get her to a doctor. As a prisoner she has the right to a doctor.
MEMBER #2
He’s right Mac. I can go get the doc right now.
MACKENZIE
No Billy, I said no doctor!
Billy walks to the door.
MACKENZIE
No doctor!
BILLY
I’m not getting the doc. I just need some fresh air.
Billy exits the office. We watch as he walks off of the front steps and to the side of the building. A hand reaches for him and pulls him out of view. The camera rounds the corner showing Buck holding his gun on Billy.
26. Int. Rock Creek Marshal’s office. – same time
Teaspoon is sitting at his desk writing. We turn to the front door as The Kid and Noah enter.
THE KID
Teaspoon, I don’t have a good feeling.
TEASPOON
Now there is no reason to go worrying yourself. I told you, I just sent the others
to give them something to do.
THE KID
Something’s wrong, I know it.
NOAH
Teaspoon’s right. There isn’t anything to worry about. They’re all probably bored
out of their minds wandering the trails to Fort Kearney right now. Cody’s annoying
everyone with his singing and the rest are deciding who gets to shoot him.
THE KID
(chuckling)
I’m sure Lou would be the first to volunteer.
They both smile.
27. Ext. Sheriff’s office – same time
The scene picks up where it left off. Buck is holding his gun on Billy as he is pushed against the office wall.
BUCK
What happened to my friends?
BILLY
Mac’s holding them in the office. He has them both locked up. The girl’s hurt pretty bad.
BUCK
How bad?
BILLY
She took a couple of hits. Where’s my sister?
BUCK
Your sister?
BILLY
Genevieve. Where is she?
BUCK
She’s on her way back to Rock Creek. If she’s your sister why are you helping the sheriff?
BILLY
He doesn’t know who I am. I left right after my father died. When I came back I was told
Genny was in big trouble and they were sending I posse out for her. I figured if I joined
I could protect her.
Buck re-holsters his gun.
BUCK
She’s riding back now. Marshal Hunter will come with help.
BILLY
They better get here soon. Mackenzie wants to head out to Ft. Kearney first thing tomorrow morning.
Buck pulls a note from his pocket.
BUCK
Can you get a message to them?
Billy nods. Buck hands him the note which Billy reads to himself. Again he nods and quickly leaves Buck. Billy returns to the office.
MACKENZIE
Where did you go?
BILLY
I told you I needed some fresh air.
Billy goes to the water bucket. Scooping out some water he takes a sip.
BILLY
(to Jimmy)
She looks thirsty.
Jimmy continues to stare at Lou.
BILLY
Some water might help.
Billy scoops out another mug of water and brings it over to the bars. Close up on Billy’s hand where we can see a small piece of paper protruding from under the mug. Jimmy stands up taking both the mug and paper from Billy. Jimmy puts the paper in his pocket as he places the mug through the bars and to Lou’s lips. She takes a sip of the water. Jimmy puts the mug off to the side. Billy takes a seat on one of the office chairs.
28. Ext. Rock Creek Main Street – late afternoon
Two riders make their way down the rocky street at top speed. They come to a stop in front of the Marshal’s office. Both riders dismount and head into the office. The camera follows them in. The Kid, Noah and Teaspoon all jump to their feet.
TEASPOON
What happened?
CODY
Lou was right. Sheriff Mackenzie’s a fake. He was looking for an opportunity to kill Genevieve
THE KID
Where’s Lou?
CODY
I’m not sure. Jimmy and Lou got separated from us. Buck’s still there trying to find them.
The Kid walks to the door.
NOAH
Kid wait.
THE KID
I knew I should have ridden out last night. I’m not waiting anymore.
GENEVIEVE:
I’m coming with you.
TEASPOON
No, you’re not. Why does Mackenzie want you dead?
GENEVIEVE
I watched Buford kill a man and Mackenzie helped cover it up.
TEASPOON
So you killed him in self-defense?
Genevieve nods.
TEASPOON
Then you need to stay here. If you can testify against Mackenzie there is no way
you’re going back there.
GENEVIEVE
I’m not staying here. Lou believed in me. If something happened to her I’m going.
Besides, my brother and sister are there too.
TEASPOON
Where are they?
GENEVIEVE
My sister is at the hotel probably scared out of her mind. She watched Buford take
me away. My brother was part of the posse that came looking for me. He came to
help. It’s always been just the three of us. Nobody else cared, until Lou.
THE KID
If Lou was protecting you, it was for a good reason. She would want you to stay out
of harm’s way. But I’m going after them.
The Kid exits the office.
TEASPOON
Alright, you two go with him and take Genevieve to the station with you. Let Rachel
know what’s going on. I’ll get Barnett to watch the office and I’ll meet you at the
edge of town.
29. Ext. Edge of Rock Creek – 20 minutes later
Teaspoon rides up to the three awaiting riders. They trot into a gallop riding out of town.
30. Int. Station Bunkhouse Doorway – minutes later
We see Genevieve looking out from the doorway. She slowly sneaks out from the bunkhouse heading in the direction of the stables dressed in slacks and a white button down shirt.
31. Ext. Terrain – night
The riders have built a fire and laid out their bedrolls around it. Teaspoon and The Kid are wide awake as Noah and Cody appear to be fast asleep.
TEASPOON
Kid, you need to get some rest.
THE KID
We both know that’s not gonna happen.

TEASPOON
There’s nothing to worry about until there’s something to worry about.

THE KID
Where are Lou and Jimmy? That’s something to worry about.

TEASPOON
We’ll find them, Kid.

Close up on The Kid’s face as the camera blends out of focus.
32. Int. Sheriff’s office – that night
Blurred close up pulls out to reveal a sweat soaked Lou. Camera pulls out more as we now see Jimmy wiping the sweat from her face. He looks out to those outside of the cell. He appears defeated and hopeless.
FADE OUT
END OF ACT 5

No comments:

Post a Comment